State Complaint Contacts

Alabama Commission on Higher Education  Office of Institutional Effectiveness and Planning

Complaints for out‐of‐state institutions are referred to the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education (ADPE) for response. Please see the ADPE link below. For in‐state institutions, contacts are posted to the ACHE website at 

Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education

The Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education (ACPE) processes complaints alleging violations of state institutional authorization law relative to postsecondary institutions or programs in Alaska. The complaint investigation process is described in AS 14.48.130 and 20 AAC 17.130‐145. Students are encouraged to pursue the complaint process at their institutions prior to contacting ACPE. To request a complaint form please send an email to: For questions or assistance relative to complaints please contact: Jo Anne Hayden, Program Coordinator for Institutional Authorization (907‐465‐6741) or at Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education; P.O. Box 110505; Juneau, AK 99811‐0505. 

Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education 

Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board

ADHE requires the certified institution to make a decision on the student grievance following the institution’s public policy. Inquiries into student grievances must be limited to AHECB certified (under Arkansas Code §6‐61‐301) courses/degree programs and institutions and to matters related to the criteria for certification. Within 20 days of completing the institution’s

grievance procedures, the student may file the complaint in writing with the ICAC Coordinator, Arkansas Department of Higher Education, 114 East Capitol, Little Rock, AR 72201. The grievant must provide a statement from the institution verifying that the institution’s appeal process has been followed. ADHE will notify the institution of the grievance within 15 days of the filing. Within 10 days after ADHE notification, the institution must submit a written response to ADHE. Other action may be taken by ADHE as needed.

Colorado Department of Higher Education

Colorado Department of Higher Education, Division of Private Occupational Schools 

Connecticut Office of Higher Education

For degree granting institutions, students should contact the Office of Financial and Academic Affairs for Higher Education at 860‐947‐1822 for specific instructions. For Post‐Secondary Occupational Schools, a complaint form is available at the web site: 

Delaware Department of Education The Delaware Department of Education will investigate complaints. Such complaints must be in writing and verified by the signature of the person making the complaint. Oral, anonymous or unsigned complaints will not be investigated. Until the web site is functional, please write or call for more information. The Delaware Department of Education; Teacher and Administrator Quality; John W. Collette Resource Center; 35 Commerce Way; Dover, DE 19904. The Delaware Department of Education phone number is 302‐857‐3388.

District of Columbia Education Licensure Commission‐complaints 
Florida Department of Education, Commission for Independent


Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Georgia Commission 
none listed none listed 
Idaho State Board of Education

Complaint process described in Admin Rule (July 1, 2011) section 500. Forms and instructions available upon request from the State Coordinator for Private Colleges & Proprietary Schools. For more information, please contact the Office of the Idaho State Board of Education (Main Office: 208‐334‐2270).

Illinois Board of Higher Education Institutional Complaint Hotline: (217) 557‐7359. The Board receives general information email at Students seeking to register a complaint about an institution are required to submit the complaint in writing. Complaint processing as relates to maintenance of institutional approvals is described in 23 Illinois Administrative Rules Sections 1030.70 and 1030.80.
Indiana Commission on Proprietary Education 
Iowa College Student Aid Commission 

Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education

Kentucky State Board for Proprietary Education 

Louisiana Board of Regents For proprietary schools, the complaint procedure appears on the Board of Regents website:

Cursor down to Procedures and click on “student complaint procedures”. For the academic degree‐granting institutions, Louisiana relies on the Consumer Affairs Division of the Attorney General’s Office at 225‐326‐6200.

Maine Department of Education, Office of Higher Education ServicesComplaints shall be addressed in writing to the Maine Department of Education, Office of Higher Education, Augusta, Maine, 04333, with specific facts and allegations and signed by the complainant. The school shall be notified of any complaints which are to be investigated.
Maryland Higher Education Commission Individuals who wish to submit a complaint may use the following contact information: Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division, 200 St. Paul Place, Baltimore, MD 21202. Please see PDF at: 
Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs The Michigan Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs addresses complaints involving proprietary schools in Michigan – Please see web site at:

Complaints involving public university consumer protection violations may be directed to: Office of the Attorney General of the State of Michigan; Consumer Protection Division; P.O. Box 30213; Lansing, MI 48909‐7713. Please see web site at:,1607,7‐164‐1773‐42077‐‐,00.html 

Minnesota Office of Higher Education 
Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation

Mississippi Commission on Proprietary School and College Registration 

Missouri Department of Higher Education 

Montana University System, Montana Board of Regents‐statement‐of‐complaint‐process.asp Not linked 
Nebraska Department of Education, Private Postsecondary Career Schools

Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education The policies regarding student complaints are listed on our website with a notation that they are not final. The Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education (CCPE) intends to have a section on the website that walks students through the process; in the meanwhile, please call our office at 402‐471‐0030. Please note that institutions offering courses or programs that are exclusively online are not required to seek authorization from CCPE. If students have complaints about such institutions, we refer them to the home state of the institution or the Nebraska Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division at: 

Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education 
New Hampshire Department of Education, Division of Higher Education, Higher Education Commission‐allegation.htm No listed

New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development,

Center for Occupational Employment Information none listed

New Jersey Commission on Higher Education none listed 

New Mexico Higher Education Department Not Listed 
New York Office of College and University Evaluation

New York Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision, New York State Education Department  

The University of North Carolina Board of Governors

North Carolina Community College System, Office of Proprietary School Services 

North Dakota State Board for Career and Technical Education

Currently complaints are filed with the North Dakota Department of Career and Technical

Education (CTE) and are then handed to the Attorney General. That policy is currently under review and revision. Please call CTE at 701‐328‐2678 for more information.

Ohio Board of Regents The agency does receive student complaints. Students are encouraged to try to resolve their

issue through their institution’s formal grievance procedures. If the student’s issue is not resolved through this process, the Ohio Board of Regents may then contact the institution on the student’s behalf and request that institution work with the student to resolve the issue. If the grievance involves an issue that violates the agency’s standards for authorization, the agency would contact the institution to determine the severity of the issue and what agency action would be taken. Please call the Ohio Board of Regents at 614‐387‐1215 for more information.

Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools 

Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education

Current and prospective student complaints are handled through the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) Academic Affairs Office by reviewing the circumstances of the complaint and providing the individual with contact information for the most appropriate campus office with the authority to resolve the complaint. If the individual has exhausted the process for review and appeal at the institution and believes the complaint is unresolved, OSRHE staff requests permission to contact the institution on the student's behalf to identify any possible resolution. OSRHE staff remains in contact with the student to determine if the issue has been resolved or adequately addressed. Please call OSRHE at 405‐225‐9100 for more information.

Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education none listed

Oklahoma Board of Private Schools

A form is available by request to the Oklahoma Board of Private Schools (OBPVS) staff, but is not required. Unless a safety or other issue requiring an in‐person investigation is alleged, a Student complaint will be accepted and sent to the institution for a response that may then be forwarded to the complainant for further input. Please call OBPVS for more information at 405‐528‐3370. Web page is under development.

Oregon Office of Degree Authorization

All complaints about schools under our regulatory jurisdiction or an exempt status approved by this office are handled by Office of Degree Authorization (ODA) staff. Complaints about exempt schools are referred to the Attorney General’s office. Please call ODA for more information at 541‐687‐7478.

Oregon Department of Education Private and Career Schools Office 

Puerto Rico has affiliated with SREB and became an official SARA member June 6, 2018.

The SARA State Portal Entity Contact:

David Baez Davilla

Acting Director, Education Support Programs

Puerto Rico Council on Education

PO Box 19900

San Juan, P.R. 00919-1900

787-641-7100 ext. 2056


Puerto Rico SARA website:


Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education 

South Carolina Commission on Higher Education Not listed 
Tennessee Higher Education Commission, Division of Postsecondary School Authorization 
Texas Workforce Commission‐school.html Not listed

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board To file a complaint, follow the complaint procedures in the school's catalog. If the issue is not resolved, contact either the Texas Workforce Commission's Career School or the school's accrediting agency. If the school is not accredited by a recognized accreditor but has degree granting authority, send a written complaint to the Coordinating Board at Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Academic Affairs and Research, P.O. Box 12788, Austin, Texas 78711.

Vermont State Board of Education, Vermont Department of Education We encourage you to work directly with your institution to satisfy complaints. In most cases, that is the only appropriate avenue for you to pursue. If you believe you have exhausted avenues listed above and those listed in the attached PDF and have a valid complaint about a violation, you may send it to the Vermont Department of Education in writing at 120 State Street, Montpelier, VT 05620‐2501. All complaints should be specific in describing the nature of the complaint and relevant information: the name of the parties involved, including witnesses, dates, the policy or procedure violated (if known), the course/program, the name of the institution, and complete contact information. In addition, please include any supporting material that substantiates your complaint, including correspondence with the school about the issue. For more information please see the PDF at:



Virginia State Council of Higher Education, Private & OutofState Postsecondary Education 

Washington Student Achievement Council

Students may submit a formal complaint to the Washington Student Achievement Council, provided it is against an institution authorized by the Washington Student Achievement Council and is within one year of the last date of attendance. For more information, please contact the Washington Student Achievement Council at 360‐753‐7800.

Washington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board 

West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission

West Virginia Council for Community & Technical College

Education none listed

Wisconsin Educational Approval Board 
Wyoming Department of Education

If the complaint involves an issue relative to authorization, the Wyoming Department of Education contacts the institution to ensure that the institution is compliant with Wyoming State law. For complaints not related to authorization, the complainant is encouraged to try to resolve the issue through their institution's formal grievance procedures. Depending on the nature of the complaint, the complainant may also be referred to the Consumer Protection Division of the Wyoming Attorney General's Office. Please contact the Wyoming Department of Education at 307‐777‐6210.