ASUR is a system of administrative review that began in 1996 as a parallel process to the Academic Program Review. Administrative assessment is required by the Southern Accreditation of Colleges and Schools (SACS). SACS Standard 3.3.1 states: “The institution identifies expected outcomes, assesses the extent to which it achieves these outcomes, and provides evidence of improvement based on analysis of the results in the following areas: 18.104.22.168 educational programs, 22.214.171.124 administrative support services, 126.96.36.199 research within its educational mission and 188.8.131.52 community/public services”
The ASUR process is not a request for more resources. The purpose is to assist administrative units in conducting a strategic review of their business practices while meeting the SACS requirement. Each unit will conduct a self –study every seven years. The Office of Institutional Effectiveness will facilitate and support this review as needed. When the report is completed, it will be submitted to the Senate Committee on Planning and Development for review.
Template for Administrative Support Unit Review Self-Study
*the term Unit refers to the department, functional collaborative or college administrative function under review.
1. Structure, Mission and Functional Responsibilities
A. What is the mission of the unit? How does it align with the University’s Mission and Strategic Plan?
B. Organizational Chart (If a functional collaborative reporting- submit a chart of the collaborative partners)
C. Policy Audit: Please review any policies pertaining to your area listed in the University Policy Library and make sure they are accurate and up to date. If any are missing, please list. If there is a gap and new policies need to be developed or are under development, note as well.
2. Services or Products Provided
A. Review current priorities, direction, services and organizational efficiency. What are the goals/responsibilities of your unit?
b. Summarize and discuss the results from customer feedback on your units. Please include any charts, or reports generated in response to that feedback.
3. Unit Outcomes and Accomplishments
1. What are the unit’s current intended outcomes? For each outcome, please list the measures/indicators used to gather evidence that you have reached these outcomes.
2. Discuss how the unit has improved performance based upon its analysis of the data collected on the effectiveness indicators?
3. What are the Unit’s most notable accomplishments in the past 3 years?
4. Emerging Trends
1. Include a brief discussion about emerging trends in your area.
5. Summary of Report and Strategic Directions
1. What are your unit’s greatest strengths?
2. What are your challenges?
3. Describe any changes or modifications that would improve your effectiveness.
ASUR Resources Available from OIE
- GSU Staff Survey data, NSSE, BSSE data available for GSU
- Decision Support Services: I Port / Tableau: tool for analyzing, visualizing and sharing data
- Annual Administrative Assessment Data on WEAVE/ If your annual reviews are up to date, the ASUR process can be streamlined. Talk to Mary McLaughlin about this option. email@example.com
- Organizational Effectiveness Initiative/University of Washington (This website has many useful tools for organizational assessment) http://depts.washington.edu/oei/