Accreditation and State Authorization

Image of Georgia State University Student Center


Georgia State University and State Authorization

 Georgia State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS) to award baccalaureate, masters, specialist, and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Georgia State University. Additionally, a number of our colleges hold specialized accreditations associated with their programs


State Authorization

Georgia State University monitors developments in state laws in every state. If authorization or licensure is necessary or becomes necessary, Georgia State University will obtain the required additional approvals. Georgia State University is currently authorized, licensed, registered, exempt or not subject to approval in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington,and West Virginia. If you do not reside in one of the states listed, you may consider attending classes on-site.


State Contact Information

 Pursuant to the United States Department of Education’s Program Integrity Rule, each institution of higher education is required to provide all prospective and current students with the contact information of the state agency or agencies that handle complaints against postsecondary education institutions offering distance learning within that state. Students are encouraged to utilize Georgia State University’s internal complaint or review policies and procedures prior to filing a complaint with a state agency.Click here   to access a list of contacts from each state in which a student may file a complaint.