Timeline and Summary of Tasks
A detailed timeline for the APR process in AY2014-2015 is available here: Academic Program Review Timeline 2014-2015
The APR tasks in each of the two years in the review cycle are as follows:
Tasks for Year 1: Report and Review
Select a chair and committee to carry out the self-study (1/14-2/1).
- Chair of unit’s APR committee joins the University Senate’s Academic Program Review Committee (2/1-4/15).
Work with the Office of Institutional Research to generate institutional data (6/1-8/15):
Review survey templates (faculty, current undergraduate student, current graduate student, recent graduates) and make changes as needed and provide a list of names and addresses of recent graduates (within the past three years) and a list and/or a specification of faculty to be surveyed (e.g., fulltime, tenure-track).
Review data on degree programs, courses, faculty, students, retention, etc.
- Generate departmental data, according to the Self-Study Report Template (6/1-8/15)
Send a list of 10 potential external reviewers to the Dean (6/1). These reviewers should be full professors in strong departments at reputable institutions. The Dean will rank order the potential reviewers to be invited (8/15).
- Arrange for a meeting with the self-study committee chair, the unit chair, and the Dean to discuss key issues that the self-study should address (8/1-9/15)
- Complete self-study report according to specifications outlined in the Academic Program Review Self-Study Template (11/30).
- Submit self-study report and supporting documentation to unit faculty for approval (11/30).
- Forward approved self-study report and supporting documentation to Dean’s office with overview letter from Chair (12/1).
- Schedule events for external reviewers, using sample schedule as template.
- Host external reviewers’ site visit (scheduled for 2 days during January through March).
Tasks for Year 2: APR Action Plan
Unit head reviews external reviewers’ report, APRC report, and Dean’s Letter (6/1).
Unit head prepares initial draft of Action Plan in consultation with Dean’s office (6/1-9/30).
Unit head meets with dean to discuss revisions (10/1-10/31).
Unit head meets with provost and dean to discuss APR Action Plan 11/1-11/30).
- Once Action Plan is approved, work with dean to implement the action steps.