In AY 2012 – 2013 the Senate Executive Committee and Provost Palm convened an Ad Hoc Committee to review and revitalize the GSU APR process. The committee’s recommendations were approved by the full senate at its meeting on 10/10/2014.
On this page, unit heads and unit APR committees can find links to an APR timeline, guidelines, and templates that will help you understand the purpose and funding domain of APR, the requirements of the Board of Regents and SACS, how APR is administered, and the distinct stages of the two-year reporting, review, and planning process. The stages of APR are the following:
- selection of the unit’s APR committee and chair
- the training of the unit’s APR committee chair
- orientation by the Office of Institutional Effectiveness (OIE)
- collection of institutional and departmental data
- production of the Self-Study Report according to the OIE’s Guidelines for Units Undergoing Academic Program Review and Self-Study Template
- deliberation on, and approval of, the Self-Study Report by the unit’s faculty
- internal review of the Self-Study Report by the unit Chair, the relevant Dean, and the University Senate’s Academic Program Review Committee
- external review by a team of faculty members from other institutions in the unit’s discipline, who come for a site visit and prepare an External Reviewers Report
- development of an APR Action Plan detailing the major findings from the Self-Study and reviews, as well as action steps that address the major findings
- implementation of the APR Action Plan with the support and supervision of the unit’s dean
- an annual report from the unit’s dean, in the years following APR, on the implementation of the APR Action Plan
If you have questions about any aspect of this process, please email them to Michael Galchinsky, Director of Academic Program Review, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 404-413-2501.