Academic Program Review (APR)
Academic Program Review (APR) is central to Georgia State University’s planning and resource allocation process. Periodic and systematic assessment of academic programs, including centers and institutes, and the use of assessment results to improve institutional effectiveness, are required by both the University System of Georgia and the Southern Association of College and Schools. Review of academic programs involves preparation of a self study, evaluation by a team of external reviewers who conduct a site visit and analysis and review by faculty governance and administrative bodies of the university.
Georgia State University has successfully completed two 7-year cycles of APR involving all departments, centers and programs. As part of our ongoing efforts in continuous quality improvement, a committee jointly commissioned by the University Senate and the Office of the Provost, has recently made a series of recommendations for amendments to the APR process. The committee recommendations were approved by the University Senate in October 2013..
The Office of Institutional Effectiveness assists and coordinates the academic program review process. As specified, the Office of Institutional Research provides institutional data regarding faculty composition; enrollment, retention and graduation rates of majors; credit hour generation; course offerings; admissions data; and faculty – student teaching ratios; and survey data from currently enrolled students, alumni and faculty.
The associate provost for institutional effectiveness is responsible for overseeing academic program review including:
- preparing and gaining approval of the review schedule from the Committee on Academic Programs
- providing orientation sessions for academic programs prior to review
- securing and coordinating visits of outside evaluators to campus
- assisting and supporting the Academic Program Review Committee (a sub-committee of the Committee on Academic Programs)
- monitoring the status of action plans and their accomplishments
- managing and cataloging all information related to the academic program review process